Register for a Library Card
GET A LIBRARY CARD
All you need is your military ID or CAC to get a library card with JBSA Libraries!
Any patron living or working in the Joint Base San Antonio area with a valid military ID card with MWR permissions (CAC, dependent ID, retiree ID, etc.) can establish a library account. The JBSA Libraries will use a valid military ID card as a library card. Family members will use their own valid military ID card but will be linked to their sponsor. Sponsors or guardians are responsible for all materials their family members check out. Children without their own ID (under 10 years of age) must have materials checked out by a registered family member.
Stop by one of our branches to complete a library card application in person, OR, save time and click here to download, print, and bring your paper copy into your JBSA Library branch to register.
Only those individuals authorized by the library (see listed in the DAFI 34-101, A2.1); can be registered. Eligible patrons may use the library facilities but they must furnish proof of eligibility as required. The following is a quick reference of individuals eligible to use the JBSA Library resources:
- All active duty military personnel and their family members on JBSA whether permanent or temporary. Dependents must have a valid military ID card to register. All family members over the age of 10 may be given a separate account that is linked to the sponsor’s account.
- DOD civilians including GS, NAF, and Contractors employed on local military installations are able to register for a library account. They must provide employing organization information. This is to include retired DOD civilians. Family members must have a valid DOD card. Contractors may receive temporary registration and be limited on items that may be checked out.
- Guard and Reserve serving in Texas reserve units and residing in Texas, as well as their family members with valid military IDs, are able to register for a library account. Those from other states that are temporary will receive temporary registration and be limited on the items that may be checked out.
- Divorced or separated spouses and minor dependents with valid military ID cards will assume full responsibility for their library accounts and materials checked out to them. Minor dependent applications must provide sponsor’s information and address or organization/base to which sponsor is assigned. The sponsor is ultimately responsible for the dependent’s account.
- All students will receive temporary registration and be limited on the items that may be checked out.
- Foreign military personnel and their family members with valid military IDs can register for an account.
- Students enrolled in Base Education Center programs not otherwise covered under another category may receive temporary registration and be limited on the items that may be checked out. They must have proof of current class registration or student ID from the college.
TDY and Temporary Duty Accounts
- All TDY staying in the area over 14 days may obtain a standard library account with borrowing privileges determined by their departure date listed on their orders. Typically the account will expire on the departure date and marked cleared if out processing through a JBSA Library.
- All other accounts for persons staying in the area over 14 days are at the discretion of the supervising librarians.
- At any time, patrons may be asked to provide a copy of their orders or proof of address (retirees) for eligibility of an account.
- At this time, we are not able to check out physical materials to anyone staying in the area less than the 14 day requirement. However, a virtual account may be issued.
Cards for Children Ages 10-17
Juvenile borrowers (between 10-17 years of age) may only obtain a library card with sponsor/parent/legal guardian approval. The parent/legal guardian must present their CAC and sign for the juvenile to receive full borrowing privileges, and must fill out the registration form with the sponsor's information as well as the dependent's information.
JBSA Library Hours
9 am - 5 pm
Friday - Saturday:
11 am - 5 pm
JBSA Lackland Library
JBSA Keith Campbell Memorial Library (Ft. Sam Houston)
JBSA Randolph LIbrary